In this episode, we sit down with Jeanna Cournoyer to discuss self-defense and firearms training. Jeanna is a bit like a female John Wick with a long resume of training in Krav Maga, firearms, and stress straining. She also happens to be pretty damn cool.
We dive into reality based training. This is scenario based and “real-world” techniques for hand-to-hand combat situations. And we dive into the murky waters where one must transition from a fist fit to a gun fight. But first, we go into using body language and verbal commands in an attempt to keep things from becoming physical.
~ Self-defense Topics Discussed:
* What is Fear and Adrenal Stress Training?
* What’s the difference between self-defense and martial arts?
* How did Jeanna get into Krav Maga?
* What advantages does Krav Maga have over other martial arts for Jeanna?
* Is there a difference between Krav Maga taught to civilians and what’s taught in the Israeli military?
* IS that because it focuses more on arresting techniques?
* What limitations are there when it comes to unarmed self-defense techniques?
* What are people’s biggest aversions to taking a self-defense class?
* Are there things women, in particular, should consider when looking at self-defense training?
* Why have firearms played such a big role in Jeanna’s personal defense training?
* Why there is so much interest in women-only classes for women?
* Why do women gravitate towards women-only self-defense and firearms classes?
* What changes for Jeanna as an instructor, when she’s teaching women-only classes?
* What parts of firearms’ training do women wrestle with versus men?
* What aspects of firearms’ training do women tend to excel at over men?
* Are there calibers that just don’t work well for most women and calibers that do work well for most women?
* How has having a kid changed the way Jeanna keep firearms in the house?
* How does Jeanna deal with a situation where one-half of a couple is hesitant or strongly opposed to the idea of firearms in the home while the other is interested in it?
~ Resources from this episode can be found at: